Modern Christian Music


Debunking Arguments Against Modern Christian Music using Scripture

Older songs are better, meatier
Ecclesiastes 7:10 Do not say, "Why were the old days better than these?" For it is not wise to ask such questions.

Too Simplistic
Psalm 117 1 Praise the LORD, all you nations;   extol him, all you peoples.2 For great is his love toward us,   and the faithfulness of the LORD endures forever.   Praise the LORD.

Too Repetitious
(Ps. 136) 1 Give thanks to the LORD, for he is good.         
His love endures forever.2 Give thanks to the God of gods.         
His love endures forever.3 Give thanks to the Lord of lords:         
His love endures forever...

Intellect is superior to emotion
Psalm 111:1 Praise the LORD. I will extol the LORD with all my heart in the council of the upright and in the assembly.
1 Corinthians 14:15 So what shall I do? I will pray with my spirit, but I will also pray with my mind; I will sing with my spirit, but I will also sing with my mind.

Vertical vs. horizontal (audience)
 Some examples of horizontal worship songs:
Psalm 103:1 - A Psalm of David. Bless the LORD, O my soul, And all that is within me, bless His holy name.
Psalm 30:4 Sing to the LORD, you saints of his; praise his holy name.
Ps 148 - Praise the Lord (sun and moon, etc.)

Drums and guitars are "fleshly" and makes you want to dance
Psalm 150 Praise the LORD! Praise God in His sanctuary; Praise Him in His mighty expanse. Praise Him for His mighty deeds; Praise Him according to His excellent greatness. Praise Him with trumpet sound; Praise Him with harp and lyre. Praise Him with timbrel and dancing; Praise Him with stringed instruments and pipe. Praise Him with loud cymbals; Praise Him with resounding cymbals. Let everything that has breath praise the LORD. Praise the LORD!

Expression in worship is self-glorifying and takes attention away from God
 Psalms 47:1 says, “Clap your hands, all you nations; shout to God with cries of joy.”
In 1 Timothy 2:8, we read, “I want men everywhere to lift up holy hands in prayer, without anger or disputing.” 
Ps 150 Praise Him with timbrel and dancing

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Whole Counsel of God (Why we stand with Bethel, Todd White, etc.)

Why Christians Should Believe for a Christian Nation

31 Days of Prayer and Declaration for Israel (May 2023)